How many of you agree breakfasts are most important meal of the day ?? I strongly believe ” Eat Breakfast Like a King, Lunch Like a Prince, and Dinner Like a Pauper ” and hence keep searching for new breakfast varieties to experiment in my kitchen . Recently , in one of the FB food groups i stumbled upon this ” Instant Rice Idli / Instant Poha Idli ” . It immediately caught my attention as it was healthy , looked soft n fluffy , simple recipe with handy ingredients .. and above all these idlis were instant – no fermentation – no grind types . Wow !! looked like a perfect tailor made recipe for busy mornings . I immediately bookmarked it to try. Next few days i saw many people trying the recipe and giving it thumbs up.. .. This gave me double assurance and i made it right next day . I am glad i did try this keeper recipe … I was so surprised and happy from the outcome.They were really soft , spongy and extra white . Dunk in some spicy chutney / sambar … and straight to mouth .. aah yummm !!!! Now these idlis have become my lifesaver on those busy unplanned mornings …. i am sure it will be your’s too…Here we go….
INSTANT RICE IDLI
- 1.5 cups Rice Rawa /Idli Rava
- 1 cup Poha / Beaten Rice / Avalakki thin variety
- 1 cup curd/ sour buttermilk
- a pinch Baking soda (optional)
- Water as required
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak poha in curd for 3-4 mins . Since its thin variety , it will become mushy . Mash nicely.
- Add rice rava , little soda ( if you want ) and salt to it . Mix and allow to sit for 10 mins. poha n rice rava will drink in all the liquid content . Add water as required and get idli batter consistency ( little thicker than milkshake ) . instant idli batter is ready , fermentation not required .
- Heat water in a steamer.Grease idli molds with oil .Pour the batter into idli stand.
- Steam for 12-15 mins on medium flame.Prick a tooth pick,if it comes clean it means its done.Allow it to cool a bit and remove from molds using a spoon or knife.
- Thats it soft, spongy and instant poha Idli's are ready to serve. Serve withChutney / Sambar /Gojju/ Chutney Powder.
- If you want you can do the batter before hand n do idlis in the morning . You can keep in fridge / outside to ferment a bit . Your choice . Still comes out good .
- I feel coz of poha and no fermentation , these idlis are little bland in taste . So a spicy side dish will take these idlis to a new level .