Jackfruit seeds Chutney powder recipe with step by step photos | Jackfruit seeds chutney recipe
During every summer we enjoy the seasonal crop – Jackfruit. The best part is, it is edible in all its stages. Tender raw ones go for sabzi,curry etc, matured raw ones for chips and then comes the ripe fruit. Even the seeds of the fruit are not thrown off (YES !! ..you read it right). They too can be used in many delicacies…So today i have for you all ” Jackfruit Seeds Chutney Powder/ Halasina beejada Chutney Pudi “- a spicy, delicious accompaniment made from Jack fruit seeds. Next time before you throw away the jack fruit seeds … I am sure you would want to try this simple recipe….
This Jackfruit seeds chutney pudi recipe i got from one of my follower at Instagram, Deepa Santosh. I was really impressed with this unique Chutney pudi and wanted to try sometime. I am glad, I did one fine day. Tweaked few ingredients as per my likings and was super hit.
Jackfruit seeds are very rich in digestible starch, protein and minerals. Since in my home we all love these seeds, every year the seeds are gathered from the ripe fruit, sun-dried on a separate plate or newspaper sheet and later used in making gravies, stir fry , vada etc . I love to eat it as a snack too by roasting or steaming it. The seeds have a buttery texture and slightly sweetish taste . After separating it from fruit, its washed nicely, spread on a sheet and sun-dried. Once Dried, the outer white skin is peeled and stored in the freezer to use as when required.
If we peep into traditional grandmas kitchen, we are sure to find numerous ways in which they incorporated the peels, seeds and kernels .. they would hardly throw anything and make sure all the nutrients from each veggie is utilized fully. There are so many things to learn from our ancestors, isn’t it… One can make one tasty rasam and sabzi out of these seeds. In fact, there are many other dishes that can made using jackfruit seeds. Will share a few more over time. For now .. are you ready to jot down this handy Jack fruit seeds chutney powder recipe… Here you go …
JACKFRUIT SEEDS CHUTNEY POWDER / JACK FRUIT SEEDS RECIPES
- 20-30 nos Jackfruit Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Urad dal
- 3-4 tbsp Dry Coconut / Kopra
- 1 cup Red Chilli, Byadgi + guntur
- amla size Tamarind
- handful Curry leaves
- 2 tsp White sesame seesame seeds / til
- big pinch Hing /Asafoetida
- 4-5 flakes Garlic, optional
- 1-2 tsp Oil
- little jaggery, optional
- Salt to taste
- Wash and sundry Jack seeds for 3-4 days. This helps to peel off the plasticy white skin better .Peel off the skin and roughly chop seeds .
- Heat a thick kadai or Pan . Dry roast the seeds on medium flame till they are crisp and brown spots appear on them . Keep aside
- In the same kadai , dry roast Urad dal and dry coconut ( kopra / kobri )
- Once they are crisp and aromatic , keep aside .
- Add a tsp of oil , tamarind , red chillies and curry leaves to the kadai . Fry till they are crisp
- When chillies are crisp, add white sesame seeds, hing and garlic ( if using). Saute 2-3 mins. Adding hing and garlic is recommended as jack seeds are high on Vayu. Adding these 2 ingredients helps in balancing.
- Lastly added roasted jack seeds , roasted urad dal to the chilli mix in the kadai . Combine everything for a minute and switch off. Allow to cool .
- Powder all the ingredients , along with salt and little jaggery .
- Tasty , flavorful and unique Jack fruit seeds chutney powder is ready . Store in air tight container and enjoy with Dosa idli etc whenever required .