I am sure most of us love potatoes. Don’t we? This post is dedicated to all potato lovers,a classic North Indian recipe of ” Aloo Jeera Subzi / Jeera Aloo “, a simple and flavorful stir fry of boiled and cubed potatoes sauteed with cumin seeds and flavored with other spices.A wonderful side dish with almost anything from rotis to rice.The versatile potatoes get an incredible flavour from the cumin seeds.There are days when you feel like cooking something light, something quick and easier with minimal spices . Jeera aloo is one such classic dish which can be tossed together in no time with minimum ingredients ..an absolute beginners delight and bachelor friendly . Pair it up this dry Jeera aloo sabzi with some phulkas / paratha or dal rice ..and make one absolute lipsmacking meal .Here you go..
- 4 large Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- 1 teaspoon roasted Cumin powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder / Dhania powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Aamchoor / Dry Mango Powder
- a pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- a pinch Turmeric Haldi
- 1 - 2 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- to taste Salt
- Pressure cook or microwave potatoes till they are just done . Dont overcook . They should be soft yet firm. Peel off the skin .
- Dice them to medium size pieces as shown in pic
- Take a kadai or pan .Add oil . When its hot , add cumin seeds . Let they splutter .
- Add hing , red chilli powder ,dhania powder ,aamchoor powder,haldi and salt . Just stir them once .
- Immediately add diced potato cubes to the pan .
- Gently toss either using spatula or stir the pan with the handle , such that masala gets coated to the potatoes . If using spatula , remember to mix gently ,else the potatoes might break or crumble
- Cook on medium flame for 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Switch off and serve hot with phulkas or chapathi or poori or even as a side dish with rice .
- You can also use baby potatoes