What does comfort food mean to you ? For me its something that i’ve grown up eating,something that rekindles my childhood memories,something that comforts me…. in brief simple home cooked food.Though i love eating in restaurants…end of the day if you ask me,nothing can beat simple home cooked food. Today’s post is one such comforting traditional South Indian dish. It is savored through out South India under various regional names – “Majjige huli” in Karnataka,”Mor Kuzhambu” in Tamilnadu,”Pulissery/Moru kootan” in Kerala and “Majjiga pulusu” in Andhra Pradesh. In simple words, this delicious dish can be translated as a mildly spiced coconut – yoghurt based curry….a close cousin of North Indian kadi…
Majjige huli is a signature dish in every Karnataka Brahmin’s home and functions.Its one of those best dishes to clear sour curd.Basically in Karnataka there are two variations of making this majjige huli.Bangalore/Mysore version and Udupi/Mangalore version.Mangalore version is mild,simple.And the Bangalore /Mysore version takes in more spices and ingredients. Few of the vegetables that are commonly used in making this curry are:Sambar Cucumber,Ash Gourd,Bottle Gourd,Chayote Squash,Long beans,Potato,yam,Breadfruit,Raw banana,okra,capsicum,green leafy veg etc.I’ve already shared Mangalore -Udupi style , today its time for Bangalore/Mysore style. Here it goes ..
- 400 gm Ashgourd / Boodha Kumbalakayi
- 1 cup Sour Curd
- 1 cup Sour Buttermilk
- to taste Salt
To Grind :
- 1/2 cup Coconut, Grated
- 2-3 teaspoons Bengal Gram / Channa dal, / ** Refer Note 1
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds /Dhania
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- 4 - 6 nos Green Chillies
- 1 inch Ginger, - piece
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric /Haldi
- a pinch Asafoetida/ hing
To Temper :
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- a pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- 1 Red Chilly, Broken
- few Curry Leaves
- 2-3 tsp Oil
- Soak channa dal in little water for 20 minutes.
- Remove the skin of the ash gourd , deseed them and cut into small cubes.
- Cook the ashgourd with little turmeric either in a cooker / microwave or directly in the vessel.But don't overcook and make it mushy. It should be about 75 % cooked.
- Meanwhile grind the ingredients mentioned under " To grind " to a very very smooth paste adding little water.
- Add masala paste and salt to the cooked veggie.
- Boil for a couple of minutes. Add buttermilk and mix such that the masala and buttermilk blends well.Add some water to get the desired consistency. Let the mixture to come to a boil. You will see that as it boils, the gravy thickens.Stir for 1-2 mins and switch off. **ref Note 4
- Heat oil in a small pan . Temper with mustard seeds ,hing & curry leaves.When the mustard crackles,pour the tempering over the curry.Ash gourd majjige huli is ready to serve.
- Enjoy it with steamed rice along with some sun dried chillies / spicy pappad / spicy chutney .
- Instead of soaking chana dal and grinding, you can use few tsps of besan too. Add it by dissolving in curd / buttermilk such that no lumps are formed.
- The amount of chana dal changes the consistency of the final product .The more the chana dal thicker the gravy.
- Majjige huli tastes best when the yogurt is sour, so do not use fresh curds in this recipe.
- Don't over boil this curry.It will curdle the curry and loose its creamy texture.If you are reheating also ,do it mildly.
- Don't forget to grind the masala to a very very smooth paste. This helps in blending well.