Mango Jam recipe | Homemade Mango Jam without any preservatives | How to do Homemade Mango jam with step by step pics | Easy Indian style Mango jam recipe |
Are you a Mango lover? Then you must make this easy 3 ingredient Easy Mango Jam Recipe before the season ends. Once ready, you will be surprised to see the jars emptied sooner than you anticipated and no one would believe it’s homemade. The best part it has no artificial colours, no artificial flavouring agents, no pectin… no preservative.. still stays good easily for 2-4 months in refrigeration and tastes fingerlickingly good !! Also if you are thinking of ways to empty overripe mangoes.. Here it is !!!
Making of homemade Mango Jam is very simple. This ripe mango jam is very different from Katta Meet Raw Mango Jam .. I had shared before. You simply throw mango puree, sugar into a pan and it cooks down to a jammy, very good consistency and colour, flavoured beautifully naturally from the fresh fruit. But yes it calls for your attention to stir between and not to overcook them. If you cook more, it will become very hard and sticky after cooling. So be all eyes near its final stage… just like Tomato Jam. I know the process is so boring and time-consuming ..so plan to make jam when you have some other works too in the kitchen…so that you can stir in between .. multi-task 🙂
So… are you ready to give this homemade Mango jam a try ? I’m sure you’ll enjoy the cooking process as you see the jam turning like jelly and resembling just like bought from the store ..
MANGO JAM RECIPE / HOMEMADE MANGO JAM RECIPE - NO PECTIN !!
- 1 kg Ripe mango
- 1/2 -3/4 kg Sugar, based on sweetness of mango
- less than 1/4 tsp Citric Acid crystals /Nimbu ka phool / Nimbu uppu
- 1 Lemon
- Put a stainless steel plate / spoon in the freezer.
- Wash and pat dry mango to remove any moisture. Peel to remove the skin . Roughly chop , discard the seed. Puree mango.
- Transfer puree to thick bottom Kadai or pan. Add sugar and combine. Quantity of sugar varies on sweetness of mango.
- Keep the pan on medium heat .. you will see that sugar starts melting. At this stage, squeeze lime or add few crystals of citric acid ( nimbu uppu). This helps in preventing crystallization.
- Keep mixing in between till jam thickens. I know the process is so boring and time-consuming ..so plan to make jam when you have some other works too in the kitchen...so that you can stir in between .. multi-task 🙂
- Keep stirring in between for every 2-3 mins. Continue to boil for another 7-8 minutes on medium flame... you will see that jam starts thickening slowly and leaving sides. As it thickens, stir consistently and reduce the flame.
- To check the consistency, Method 1- Spoon test. Take out the spoon from freezer. Dip the cool metal spoon into the jam and make sure the jam doesn't drop off. If it does .. continue to cook further.
- Method 2: Take the cool plate from the freezer. Drop little jam on to it. If the jam is not dripping and sets .. that means it's done.
- Switch off. Allow to cool . Jam becomes little bit thicker as it cools down. Transfer into clean sterilized glass bottles.
- Enjoy homemade Mango Jam as and when required for toast, sandwich, bun, chapati etc.
- Stays good for months in fridge .. but remember to use a clean dry spoon and close airtight later.
- Use Mangoes that are pulpy , ripe, & undamaged. Pulpy variety only works best for making jam.
- Amount of sugar can be adjusted based on the tartness and sweetness of mango.
- Citric acid is a souring agent which enhances taste and also acts as preservative plus prevents crystallisation of sugar when added to jam .