Back with one more dish using a seasonal fruit .. this time its from the King of fruits,the luscious Mangoes.Markets have already filled with various breeds of mangoes.Apart from enjoying the tangy raw mangoes and the juicy ripe mangoes, there are variety of dishes one can prepare out of it. I know coz of kids vacations, i am lagging with these posts .Today i’ll share with you all the most popular and most easiest Karnataka specialty dish ” Mango Rasayana / Mavina hannina Seekarne / Mango Shrikaran ” made by using ripe pulpy mangoes. Serve it as an accompaniment with chapathi/ poori / neer dosa or savor a cup of it as such like a dessert …
I feel probably Mango Rasayana is probably a close cousin of the famous Aamras & milkshake.What say ? Unlike aamras and milkshake, the texture of rasayana is not fully smooth and is smashed with hands. Few add milk to it but I love the ones with coconut milk.With very few ingredients , it hardly takes a couple of minutes to put rasayana together. And the end result is hmmm… yumm !!! Though i prepare this dish many a times in the mango season , writing this post.. i’m badly craving for it ” Yeh Dil Mange More …” …such is its addiction. I’ve already shared before ” Banana Rasyana ” , today its time for the ones with Mango….
Check Out the Video recipe here :
- 4 Mangoes, Big Ripened Juicy
- 1 Big cup coconut, Grated
- 1 cup Sugar jaggery mangoes, / : adjust according to the sweetness of the )
- 1 No cardamom elaichi, / - .
- a pinch Salt
- Wash the mangoes.Slice off the top at the stalk.Peel out the skin with hands .Do not throw off the skin.
- Take a big vessel and squeeze the mango with your hands to extract pulp from it.Add sugar / jaggery , a pinch of salt and mix them well . Ive added sugar .
- Meanwhile prepare coconut milk. Grind grated coconut along with elaichi adding half a cup of water.Do superfine paste.Once it is ground finely,pour it on a strainer and squeeze it to get thick coconut milk.
- Add this coconut milk to the mango mixture and mix well.
- Again add little water to the ground coconut and squeeze the milk.This will be thinner in consistency.Squeeze the mango peels in thin coconut milk to extract the fruit sticking to the peels.Add extracted juice to the mango coconut milk mixture. Mix everything. If you want you can add little water .
- Delicious Mango rasayana is ready to dig in.Serve as it is / serve chilled / serve as an accompaniment with neer dosa,chapathi or shavige (string hoppers).However you wish ...
- Make this easy-peasy ,no cook,ghee less dessert and be prepared to gain praises ...
- Juicy pulpy mangoes are preferred.
- If you cannot squeeze the pulp out with hands, cut the mangoes into pieces and pulse them in a blender taking care not to mash it up completely.
- You can replace mango with ripe bananas or apple or musk melon.
- For a more quick version, you can replace coconut milk with normal milk
- You can also used store brought coconut milk for this dish. However they taste best when prepared fresh.