What picture does the word ” SNACK ” strike you ? I am damn sure, this if i ask my father,he will surely say something crispy,crunchy deep fried munchies. Ha ha…But now things have changed and most of us are cautious.We try to reduce deep fried snacks and instead choose healthy options without compromising on taste. So today i have for you all one such healthy nutritious snack “Muthiya / Muthia ” from the Gujarati cuisine. Best part of this dish is that they are not only low cal but delicious as well. Have them for your breakfast or munch it as snack or pack it off for lunchbox.Enjoy !!
Muthias are basically multigrain spicy dumplings with veggies in it. The veggies that you can add could be of your choice. They can be either steamed or deep fried.For today the chosen one is steamed muthia with bottlegourd and fenugreek leaves in it. Addition of fenugreek leaves gives extra flavor. Do try it… I am sure you will love it and would be left saying ” Hmm.. low cal snacks need not be boring.. they can indeed treat your taste buds …”. Here it goes…
METHI DOODHI MUTHIYA
- 1 1/2 cups Bottle gourd /(doodhi / lauki), grated
- 1 cup Fenugreek Leaves /methi / leaves, finely chopped ( optional)
- 1/4 cup grated Onions, (optional)
- 1 cup Semolina/ upma rava
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Gram Flour Besan
- 2 - 4 Green Chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsps Coriander, Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds saunf
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder /Haldi
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 pinches Soda bi-carb /eno
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/ hing
- 1 tsp Oil
- to taste Salt
- 2 - 3 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp White Sesame seeds / til
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ hing
- Squeeze out excess water from the grated bottle gourd and onions and keep the liquid aside to knead the dough if required.
- Combine the bottle gourd,methi leaves,onions,green chilli,ginger paste,coriander leaves,wheat flour, semolina, besan,turmeric powder, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, lemon juice,soda bi-carb, asafoetida, sugar,salt and 1 tsp of oil in a bowl.
- Mix well and knead into a soft dough. Only if required add water ( that obtained from squeezing from bottle gourd )
- Grease your hand and divide the mixture into equal portions.Shape each portion into a cylindrical roll .
- Arrange the rolls on a greased sieve and steam in a steamer for 20 to 25 minutes
- Let it cool for 5 minutes then make thin slices.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a non-stick kadai and add the mustard seeds.When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds,asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the muthia pieces and sauté on a medium flame for 4-5 minutes or till they turn light brown in colour and little crisp.Switch off . Garnish with coriander leaves
- Serve hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
- Instead of bottlegourd , you cam make muthias by adding just methi / raddish/ cabbage/ palak/mixture of all mixed veg .
- If you want you can also make deep fried muthias by deep frying them instead of steaming.
- Dont prepare the dough and keep to rest to steam later.The dough will leave water if kept for long time.
- Bottle gourd leaves lot of water while mixing .So If the mixture becomes too soft add some more chickpea flour to it.
- You can store the muthia in refrigerator for 2-3 days and can temper when needed.