Millet Upma Recipe | How to do Millet Upma | Easy Millet Upma recipe with Step by Step pics | Kodo Millet Upma recipe | How to do Varagu Upma
Millet Upma – a healthy, delicious and a fulfilling dish that one can make for breakfast or dinner. It’s low on calories and high on nutrition.It is simple in preparation. Addition of veggies makes it colourful, more nutritious and yummier. Since everyone loves upma in my home, there was no fuss in accepting millet upma .. even from the kids .
Millets are an absolute weight watchers delight and diabetic friendly too. These days more and more people are getting health conscious and including millets in their diet. I have shared couple of millets recipes here earlier .. today let’s see another great dish from millets . This millets upma is very easy and any one can who is new to millets can also try . Addition of veggies is purely optional . Even the choice of millets is your choice .. ie you can make upma using foxtail ( Navane upma ) , little millet upma ( Saame akki upma ) , Barnyard millet etc .. today the chosen one is Kodo Millet upma . Though the recipe for any millet upma is same .. taste and water proportion varies a bit .Kodo millet is known as Kodra/Koden in Hindi,Harka in Kannada,Varugu Arisi in Tamil , Koovaragu in Malayalam & Arikelu in Telugu.So if you are looking for some healthy breakfast options / trying to incorporate millets in your diet .. go ahead . Apart from being healthy, it is tasty,easy n will surely receive thumbs’up from all…. Here you go ….
MILLET UPMA RECIPE / KODO MILLET UPMA / VARAGU UPMA RECIPE
- 1 cup Kodo Millet / Any millet
- 2-2.5 cup Water
- 1 medium size onion, Finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup Mixed veggies (Beans,Carrot,Peas etc ), ( Optional ) finely Chopped
- 3-5 nos 2 - 4 Green Chillies Chopped, Chopped
- Few Coriander leaves, Chopped
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 2-3 tbsp grated coconut optional
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Split Black gram Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Bengal Gram Chana Dal
- a pinch Turmeric / Haldi powder
- few Curry Leaves
- Rinse any millet / kodo millet and soak in water for 10-15 mins . Drain water and keep aside
- Take a pan add oil and heat. Add chana dal, urad dal and mustard. Fry till they turn golden brown and mustard splutters. Later add curry leaves, onion and green chilli. Saute for a minute or two till the onion turns slight pink. Add chopped tomatoes.
- Add finely chopped mixed veggies. Add some salt, turmeric and saute for 3-4 mins.
- To that add water.Keep the flame on medium high and bring to boil.
- When water starts to boil add millet, lemon and remaining salt. Mix well. Pressure cook for 2 whistles or you can cook in low flame for 10 -15 mins. Once pressure releases, open the cooker , add coriander leaves and grated coconut (optional) .
- Enjoy hot Millet Upma as such / with chutney .