Though we all like variety of food ..love eating in restaurants…end of the day if you ask anyone,nothing can beat simple home cooked food.Today’s post ” Mixed Veg Kootu ” is one such dish made from mixed veg and lentils,that is very popular in South India. Though its made throughout South India , recipe in each region is different . That’s the reason i have mentioned in my post heading as Karnataka Style Mixed Veg Kootu . This style kootu is prepared in and around Bengaluru and Mysuru region. Kootu ; delicious alternate to sambar is packed with protein, vitamins and minerals and is easy to make.Tastes perfect with hot rice accompanied with some ghee .
I had earlier shared here cabbage kootu which is entirely differnt from veg kootu bith recipe as well taste wise . To make mixed veg kootu you can add vegetables like carrot, beans ,potato, brinjal, beans, cluster beans, broad beans, pumpkin, ash gourd, yam , peanut , black eyed peas ,green peas etc.Usually no souring ingredient like tomato / tamarind is added to it . And also its a no onion garlic dish . Addition of pepper gives a unique flavor to this dish . So are you ready to jot down the recipe Karnataka Style Veg kootu recipe … here you go …
RECIPE FOR MIXED VEG KOOTU - KARNATAKA BRAHMIN STYLE
- 3 cups Mixed veggies beans carrot peas potato cluster beans yam ash gourd pumpkin madras cucumber etc
- 1 .5 cup Split Pigeon peas Tuvar dal
- 3 - 4 tbsps Peanut ( can add more too )
- a big pinch Turmeric
- small amla size Jaggery
- to taste Salt
To roast and grind
- 1.5 tbsp Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1.5 tbsp Coriander Seeds Dhania
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds methi
- 1 tsp Black peppercorn
- 5 - 6 Red Chilli
- few Curry Leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut Grated
- 1 tbsp Oil/ Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Red Chilli broken to pieces
- few Curry Leaves
- Clean and chop all vegetables ( carrot ,beans, cluster beans ( gorikayi ) ,potato, yam, etc) into bite size pieces .
- Add a pinch of haldi and Pressure cook vegetables for 1-2 whistles .Don't overcook .
- Clean and Wash Toordal and groundnut . Add a big pinch of haldi and pressure cook them together for 3-4 whistles
- Take a small kadai or pan . Add a tsp of oil and fry all the ingredients under ‘to grind’ category except coconut. Do not fry coconut.
- Grind the fried masala with coconut and little water to make smooth paste.
- Transfer cooked dal , vegetables and ground masala paste to a vessel . Add water to get desired consistency.Add salt, jaggery and mix . Bring kootuto boil . Taste test
- Now heat oil in kadai and temper with the ingredients mentioned and add it to the kootu and stir well.
- That's it simple mixed veg kootu is ready to serve. Enjoy it with hot rice drizzled with few drops of ghee .
- You can use all veggie mentioned or which ever is available
- Dont skip pepper
- Typically tamarind is not added to this curry . however if you want can add little