Since many festivals are queued up in the coming weeks , i wanted to post here some traditional South Indian dessert . After a lot of thought I decided to share ” Moong dal kheer / Moong Dal Payasam ” as it is one of the most common payasam made and devoured during festive seasons in South India . It is simple to make , tastes divine and extremely nutritious . In Karanataka it is called as ” Hesaru bele Payasa “. Though it is one of the most simplest sweet dish , I thought of posting it here since i don’t have much payasam recipes in my blog .
In few regions , moong dal payasam is made using normal milk but in Kerala and Southern region of Karnataka , coconut milk is used . And i prefer it that way . Addition of coconut milk to the moong and jaggery mix takes this payasam to a new level .Do give a try ..i’m sure you will agree with me..
MOONG DAL PAYASAM / HESARU BELE PAYASA
- 1 cup Split green gram /Moong dal / hesarubele
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 1.5 cups Thick coconut milk
- 3/4 cup Jaggery
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 2 - 3 nos Cardamon Elaichi
- Cashew Raisins , - As required
- a pinch Salt
- Add few drops of ghee and roast the Moong Dal in a thick Kadai or sauce pan until it turns a light golden brown. Do not over roast.
- Pressure cook the dal with 1 cup water in a pressure cooker until it is soft and cooked.But it should be still holding its shape, do not overcook.
- Take a thick bottom kadai / pan . Add jaggery and some water . Let the jaggery dissolve to make a thin syrup. Filter the syrup to remove any impurities .
- Meanwhile prepare coconut milk. Grind grated coconut along with elaichi adding half a cup of luke warm water.Do superfine paste.Once it is finely ground ,pour it on a strainer and squeeze it to get thick coconut milk .Again add little water to the grinded coconut and squeeze the milk.This will be thinner in consistency. Regrind again. Repeat the step 1-2 times to get the maximum milk out of coconut .
- Mix cooked moong dal to the jaggery syrup. Keep it on flame and bring to boil .
- When it is boiling ,simmer and add coconut milk . Add a pinch of salt and mix well .Add little water if required to adjust the consistency depending on your preference . Bring it to single boil on low flame stirring in between . Switch off . Don't boil more .
- In a heavy bottomed vessel/kadai,add a tea spoon of ghee and fry cashews till they change in color. Fry raisins as well in the same pan till they fluff up. Add this cashews and raisins to the payasa and mix.
- Serve moong dal payasa hot , warm or cold.
- Don't skip the roasting of dal . Roasting makes moong dal very aromatic.
- I wouldn't recommend skipping coconut milk at all . But however if you really don't have ,you can substitute coconut milk with normal milk . Rest all procedure is same. Taste wise it would be different .
- If you don't want to use so much coconut , you can use 50:50 coconut milk n milk . But i love my moong payasa only with coconut milk . You try and see which way you like.
- After coconut milk is added don't let it boil for more time it might curdle sometimes.
- Few people like thick kheer while few like to drink it glass. Some like hot and some cold . See how you like. I like it bit thin and cold .