Chutney is one of the crucial category in Indian cuisine. There are so many types of chutneys one can make. Among the long list of different chutneys today I have for you one easy and simple chutney made from small onions / Shallots. This Onion Chutney recipe is amazingly flavorful .With just a few very basic ingredients, this versatile Onion chutney recipe for idli, dosa is ready and tastes lip-smackingly awesome with anything and everything… Do try !!
Onion chutney is known as Eerulli Chutney ( Kannada ) and vengaya chutney ( Tamil ). Whenever i have run out of coconut, this onion chutney recipe or tomato chutney comes to my rescue.
One can use regular onions or the very flavorful small onions shallots. I usually make it with shallots as it enhances the taste and makes the chutney more delicious. The most difficult and boring work for many is peeling shallots skin . You can follow these easy steps shown here to peel them.. makes life so easy.
If you are wondering if the smell of onion would be strong I suggest you must try it. Quick and easy to prepare and a nice change from the regular chutneys. With a slight tang, spiciness from chillies and pungent sweet taste from onions .. this chutney is a must-try .It is one of the best accompaniment with South Indian breakfast or meals, such as dosa, idli, vada and rice.
Do give a try .. here you go…
ONION CHUTNEY RECIPE / EERULLI CHUTNEY / VENGAYA CHUTNEY
- 1 cup Pearl onions/shallots
- 2 tbsp Black Gram /split Urad Dal
- 2 tbsp Bengal Gram /split Chana Dal
- 4-6 nos Dry Red chillies based on your pref
- a big pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- few Curry Leaves
- small amla size Tamarind soaked in water
- small amla size Jaggery optional
- Salt to taste
To Temper ( Optional )
- 1-2 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- few few Curry Leaves
- Peal pearl onions . If you want can use as such or just slice a bit .
- Heat oil in a kadai. When the oil is hot, add urad dal, chana dal, hing ,curry leaves and red chillies .Fry on a medium heat, till dal turns golden. Take out on a plate to cool
- Add onion to the kadai. Add salt and saute till raw smell from onions vanishes and they are cooked well.
- Switch off . Allow to cool .
- Transfer the fried ingredients along with salt , tamarind and little jaggery to a mixer jar .. grind to a smooth paste adding little water .
- Transfer the onion chutney to a serving bowl .Prepare a tempering using the ingredients mentioned above . Pour it over the chutney .
- Enjoy Onion chutney / Shallots Chutney with dosa , idli , rice etc
- If you don't like hing , you can skip .
- I use coconut oil for this .If you want can use that or any oil of your choice .