Today i have a quick and very easy side dish from Paneer .. thats ” Paneer Bhurji ” . I am sure the word ” Bhurji ” is not alien to any Indian . Egg Bhurjji , paneer bhurji , tofu bhurji are some of the common types of bhurji . Today lets see how to make Punjabi style paneer bhurji with step by by step photos . Paneer bhurji is basically scrambled paneer marinated in assorted Indian spices . It not only tastes awesome but also is quick to put together ,quiet versatile and healthy .Tastes great as a side dish with Roti , sandwich , roll ,paratha etc.
Paneer bhurji is called as vegetarians version of egg bhurji 🙂 . Well .. i have never tasted egg bhurji to comment how similar they are .. but i definitely can recommend you to try this dish . My kids love paneer .. but i am not a fan of it . I somehow feel paneer bland . If you too are like me .. then you will definitely like paneer this way . All the spices takes off the bland taste and peps it up making it a great dish fr your family. I saute paneer bhurji nicely to remove all the raw smell from paneer and to give a nice crispy texture to the bhurji . And yes .. don’t skip a pinch of hing and capsicum .. it just enhances the flavor and taste . Do give a try .. i am sure you will agree with me … Here you go ..
Paneer Bhurji recipe
- 2 Cup Paneer / Cottage Cheese
- 1 medium Size onion
- 2 medium size Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup green peas, ( Optional )
- 1 small capsicum, ( optional but preferred)
- 2 Flakes Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 nos Green Chilli
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Jeera Seeds
- a pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi powder
- 1/2-1 tsp Red chilli powder, as per taste
- 1 tsp Coriander powder / Dhania powder
- 1 tsp kasoori methi /dry fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves, garnish
- Grate / crumble paneer . Set aside
- Finely chop Onion , ginger , garlic and green chillies . I used my food processor chopper to get fine coarse chop .
- Heat oil in a pan .Add jeera. Once it splutters add hing and chopped onion - ginger - garlic - chilli . Saute till golden brown.
- Then add finely chopped / semi pureed tomatoes. Add little salt and saute until mushy
- Next add capsicum and fresh / frozen green peas . Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add all the dry masala powders ie Haldi , salt , chilli powder , dhania powder and kasoori methi . Fry for 1-2 mins .
- Now add grated paneer and garam masala into the pan . Mix everything nicely so that all the masala gets coated well .Spread the bhurji into a single layer , keep the flame on sim and allow it to nicely get cooked for 2-3 mins . You will observe that water from paneer starts getting evaporated and the bottom layer of paneer starts getting roasted . Stir and continue cooking paneer bhurji for another 1-2 mins till full water is evaporated . Cooking this way helps in removing raw taste and roasting it well enhances taste . This is how i like my paneer bhurji .
- Switch off . Garnish with coriander leaves . Serve paneer bhurji with roti / phulka / stuff inside sandwich / wrap etc .
- If doing for kids, you can make it more simple by omitting few spices .
- You can add little pav bhaji masala / chole masala for more flavor