PEAS PARATHA RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTO | HOW TO DO STUFFED GREEN PEAS PARATHA | MATAR PARATHA RECIPE | MATAR PARATHA WITH DETAILED STEP BY STEP PHOTO & VIDEO
Peas Paratha or Matar paratha is a very popular Indian stuffed flatbread recipe. Spiced mashed green peas mixture is used as a stuffing for this paratha. Serve it for breakfast, brunch or any meal of the day, you are going to love it. The best thing is that they do not need any side dish, just some plain curd and pickle and in no time hot peas paratha will be emptied !!!
Parathas are anytime favourite for me .. I’m sure for most of us too. I can have them any time of the day. Relishing hot paratha served straight off the Tawa, with a dollop of butter, pickle and some homemade curd…Aah..bliss !! there is no match to it.
Every paratha has its own distinct taste. They are very filling and there are tons of options for filling and flavours. As of now, I have shared with you all paneer paratha, aloo paratha, onion paratha, sev paratha etc and today it’s these delicious Peas Paratha.
To Make Peas Paratha You Need 2 Main Elements
- Dough made from wheat flour – a basic dough like the one we make for chapati.. whole wheat flour (atta), salt, oil and water are mixed and kneaded to make soft pliable dough. Making the dough is very easy and you can either knead with hands or in a stand mixer.
- Peas stuffing – Fresh/frozen peas are mashed. Since these are seasonal soft green peas, they don’t need to be boiled. To the mashed peas, some spices and salt are added. The spiced peas mixture is then allowed to cool and then stuffed in a dough, rolled and roasted.
Few Tips to follow while making Peas Paratha
- One can use either fresh peas or frozen. Paratha made from seasonal fresh peas tastes best.
- If you want can add little onion too and temper along with green chilli.
- Besan here acts as a nice binding agent. If you want can add or skip or use little mashed potatoes.
- It is important that always the stuffing for parathas should be dry. Also, the stuffing has to be in room temperature before filling. Else liquid will ooze out while rolling
- While rolling for the first time don’t give more pressure in the centre as the filling is going to be placed in the centre. Roll very gently and dust the flour as reqd. Centre be little thick and edges little thin. Roll the paratha with light hands and go from one side to the other while rolling.
So are you ready to make a note of winter special Peas Paratha … Here you go …
Check Out the Video recipe here :
PEAS PARATHA RECIPE / MATAR PARATHA RECIPE
To prepare Dough :
- 2 cups Wheat flour
- little Salt
- Water As required
- 1-2 tsp Oil/ Ghee
To prepare stuffing :
- 1 cup fresh green peas / matar
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds / jeera seeds
- 1 inch Ginger, grated
- 2-3 nos Green Chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Dhania powder / Coriander powder
- 1-2 tbsp Gram Flour / Besan
- 1/2 tsp Raw Mango Powder / Aamchoor powder-
- 1/2-3/4 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 2-3 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves, chopped
to make paratha
- oil / ghee as required
To prepare Dough :
- In a wide mixing bowl take wheat flour, salt and ghee. Mix it with your fingers,then add little by little water, gather to form a soft pliable dough. Knead it well. The dough should not be too tight or too loose, it should be non-sticky at this stage. Allow it to rest covered for 30mins.
To prepare stuffing :
- One can use either fresh peas or frozen. Paratha made from seasonal fresh peas tastes best. Deshell peas.
- Grind green peas coarsely using a food processor or blender.
- Heat 2-3 tsp oil in a kadai /pan and temper jeera seeds.
- Once it splutters, add green chilli and ginger. Saute for a min.
- Keep the temperature low and add salt, red chilli powder, dhania powder and besan. Saute for 1-2 mins.
- Besan here acts as a binding agent and helps in giving a nice texture to peas stuffing and also prevents breaking while rolling.
- Add ground peas and saute for 4-5 mins. till the rawness goes away.
- Lastly add aamchur powder,garam masala powder and chopped coriander leaves. Combine everything.
- Stuffing for peas paratha is ready.Once the mixture cools down, it is used as a filling.
To prepare Parathas:
- Make equal sized balls out of the dough and faltten them .
- To dust use maida /wheat flour and roll them to thick small circles. Thick at the center, thin at edges.
- Keep 1-2tbsp of stuffing in the centre, seal it up nicely by pulling all the edges to the centre as shown in the pic. pinch out extra dough at the top if any. Repeat the same with all the dough and stuffing.
- With the help of dry flour, roll the parathas into thick or thin discs as per your preference .
- Heat a griddle, transfer the paratha on to griddle carefully and cook them on both sides by drizzling oil/ghee/butter. Cook till both the sides has golden spots.
- Delicious, hot Peas parathas are ready to serve.
- Enjoy them hot with pickle and / plain curd/raita...