Bought some Spring Onion to garnish Indo Chinese and wondering how to use the remaining before they get spoiled ? Here is an easy peasy Spring Onion Chutney which is amazingly flavorful and quick to make chutney that goes well with Idli , Dosa , rice etc ..The spring onion chutney recipe is simple , needs very basic ingredient and the end result is so appealing with a bursting fresh green color .
Spring onions is called as Eerrulli Kaavu in Kannada . Mainly people use it to for garnishing salads , noodles , soup , manchurian , fried rice etc but there are so many other wonderful recipes out of it . Though now a days its available through out the year .. during winter we get little thicker versions of them that goes well to make stir fry , curry , gojju etc . We can’t store spring onions for many days as they start wilting in a 2-3 days so i try to finish them off soon before spoil . I have shared a spring onion pakoda recipe , Spring Onion Gojju ,here before over the time will share few more . Today let’s see how to make spring onion chutney recipe with step by step recipe . It has the freshness of spring onion and kick from the seasonings . Hot rice , this spring onion chutney plus little ghee .. oh yumm … Do give a try and i am sure you will like it … here you go …
SPRING ONION CHUTNEY RECIPE / EERULLI KAAVU CHUTNEY RECIPE
- 1.5 cup Spring Onions / Eerulli kaavu
- 2 tbsp Black Gram /split Urad Dal
- 2 tbsp Bengal Gram /split Chana Dal
- 4-5 nos Green chilies
- a big pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- 1/2 cup coconut grated
- amla size Tamarind
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tsp any oil / Coconut oil
To Temper ( Optional )
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- few Curry Leaves
- Chop the spring onions.
- Heat oil in a kadai. When the oil is hot, add urad dal, chana dal and hing .Fry on a medium heat, till dal turns golden.
- Throw in chopped spring onions and green chillies . Saute till spring onion shrinks a bit
- Finally add grated coconut and saute for 1- 2 mins and switch off . Allow to cool .
- Transfer the fried ingredients along with salt and tamarind to a mixer jar .. grind to a smooth paste adding little water .
- Transfer the spring onion chutney to a serving bowl . If you want .. prepare a tempering using the ingredients mentioned above . Pour it over the chutney .
- Enjoy spring onion chutney with dosa , idli , rice , chapathi etc
- If you don't like hing , you can flavor the chutney with little garlic/ ginger . Add few pieces of it while roasting masala. Fry well and grind. But i would prefer roasting with hing ...
- I use coconut oil for this .
- If you want you can add 1 raw green tomato too while frying .