Today i have for you all easy and simple Sweet Coconut Milk recipe that’s usually used as an accompaniment for appam- idiyappam . Known as Kayi haalu in Kannada / thengai paal in tamil .. it’s one of the match made in heaven for ottu shavige . In my home whenever i make ottu shavige , this sweet coconut milk is a must . Soft strings of idiyappam dunked in sweet coconut milk .. is just aah.. Hubby’s favorite way to relish . I love to drink it as such / after chilling :)..with the flavour of fresh coconut , jaggery and cardamom .. it’s so tasty and aromatic .Have you tasted it ? Do you like it ??
SWEET COCONUT MILK FOR APPAM- IDIYAPPAM / KAYI HAALU / THENGAI PAAL RECIPE
- 1 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 1/2 cup Jaggery, +/- as per your preference
- 2-3 nos Green Cardamom / Elaichi
- a pinch Salt
- In a mixer jar , take grated coconut , cardamom and 1 cup warm water . Grind to a very fine paste .
- Pour the ground paste through a fine strainer .Press the coconut paste using a spoon / ladle to extract maximum coconut milk .
- You will see that coconut milk is collected in the container . Observe the thick consistency of the coconut milk . This is called first or thick coconut milk .
- Transfer the leftover coconut residue to the mixer , add a cup of warm water and grind again.
- Pass through sieve and press with a ladle to extract maximum milk . Observe the thcikness of the milk .. it will be thinner than the first milk .
- If you want you can stop at this stage or if you are ok with a thin milk .. continue the step of blending coconut and warm water again . Pass through the sieve , press using a ladle to extract maximum milk . Discard the leftover coconut residue collected in the sieve .
- That's it coconut milk is ready .. only one more step of sweetening is pending : ) . Crush jaggery and add to the coconut milk . Add a pinch of salt and mix well to dissolve .
- Yummy easy sweet coconut milk is ready to relish with idiyappam / appam / bele holige . Enjoy .
- Some people make this sweet coconut milk with sugar .. but i feel jaggery goes well with it and enhances the taste .
- Adding warm water while grinding helps in extracting maximum coconut milk .
- Tastes best when fresh .