Sweet Pongal Recipe | How to do Sweet Pongal | How to do Sakkarai Pongal | Sakkarai Pongal Recipe | Sweeet Pongal Recipe with step by step photo | Sakkarai Pongal Recipe with step by step photo
Sweet Pongal is one of the traditional neivedhyam dish that is prepared during festivals like Makara Sankranthi , Varalakshmi pooja etc .Making sakkarai pongal is very easy but most of the people complain that their sweet pongal does not taste as yummy as the temple ones.Hmm.. i agree temple prasadams are so finger-licking. There was a time, i used to visit temples just for these prasadams.The recipe that i am sharing today , tastes almost exactly like the temple style sweet pongal with a divine taste. The secret of getting the secret taste lies in the addition of spices. So don’t omit edible camphor, cloves and cardamom while doing this pongal .
I had made this sweet pongal during Makara Sankranthi and inaugurated my new Pigeon Blaze 3 Burner Glass Cook Top and Pigeon Titanium 3l Pressure cooker. I had received them for review and was very excited to use it. Both of them are so handy .. perfect for multitasking, making our life so easy saving a lot of time and energy.
Pigeon .. The Perfect Kitchen Partner :
I am sure Pigeon requires no introduction from me as it has been over the years the household brand name in India and pioneer in the kitchen appliance and utilities. The brand’s journey traces back to 1994, When the enterprising Mr. Rajendra Gandhi incepted ‘Vardhaman Enterprises’, a manufacturing unit for kerosene wick stoves and LPG stoves. Very soon, the brand Pigeon was born and every successive year, a new product category was added to its growing portfolio.
Pigeon Blaze 3 Burner Glass Cooktop
Gas stove is probably one of the most important kitchen gadget in India and it plays such an essential role in everyday cooking . I was looking to replace my old 2 burner gas stove from long time and got Pigeon Blaze 3 Burner Glass Cooktop as a perfect replacement. I use this gas stove whole day for cooking various dishes and completely happy with it. Having 3 burners helps in multitasking easily . Morning , my kitchen is so busy that i would be making breakfast , lunch and snack for lunch box. Many times , i would get late as my stove was full . Thanks to Pigeon Blaze 3 burner Cooktop .. i feel like i have an extra hand now 🙂 I also love the way how my kitchen has got beautified now .. cool and trendy !!
If you ask me some highlight features of the product, here they are:
- Burner: Superior quality jumbo brass burners helps in fast cooking. They also provide uniform heating making it easy to cook any dish on the stovetop . More space between burners ensures that you can use any size vessel and still use all the burners simultaneously.
- Look: Heat Resistant Toughened Glass not just beautifies your kitchen , but also is easy to maintain and clean . The hairline finish stainless steel body, toughened glass and designer knobs make an elegant kitchen accessory.
- Safe, time-saving and convenient to use .. Additional spill tray for easy cleaning
- 5 years warranty on glass, burner and valve. ISI Certified gas stove
I’m sure you will find these features useful too. These gas stoves are a must-have in every kitchen to add speed to cooking.
Pigeon 3-litre Titanium Hard Anodised Pressure Cooker
Though i have multiple cookers in my kitchen i fell in love with this black beauty, the moment i unpacked. Hard Anodised , High grade Virgin Aluminium body ensures higher durability. One can use it on Induction stove as well gas stove . It’s very convenient to use for making rice/pulao/ cooking veggies/legumes or even steaming Idli Dokhla etc .. Cooks faster ,saves energy. Helps to create magic in your kitchen …
As i said .. i made Sakkarai pongal using these products ..do check out the video for the recipe and for a close up look of the product…
Check Out the Video recipe here :
SWEET PONGAL RECIPE / SAKKARAI PONGAL RECIPE - WITH PIGEON KICHEN APPLIANCES
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/4 cup Green gram / split moong dal
- 3 cup Water
- 1 cup Milk
- 3/4 cup Jaggery
- 3-5 tbsp Ghee
- 2-3 tbsp Grated Coconut / kopra
- 1 no Cloves/ Lavang, Crushed / powdered
- 2-3 no Green Cardamom / Elaichi
- pinch of Edible Camphor
- pinch of Salt
- few Cashew nuts
- few Raisins
- Dry roast moong dal for 3-4 minutes in medium flame , without getting burnt.Let the dal get aromatic .
- Add washed rice and roast for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water and milk to it . Mix
- Pressure cook till 5-6 whistles.
- Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and mash the dal n rice mixture with the back of the laddle.Keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed kadai, add a teaspoon of ghee and fry cashews till they change in colour. Fry raisins as well in the same pan till they fluff up. Switch off and add cloves powder. Keep it aside
- To the same vessel, add jaggery and little water (Just enough to cover the jaggery). Stir occasionally to melt all the jaggery. When the jaggery melts filter to remove impurities.
- Add it to mashed rice and dal mix to the jaggery syrup. Mix well so that there are no lumps in it.
- Keep the flame on low and stir in between so that the mixture doesn't stick to the bottom. Let the rice absorb the jaggery syrup.
- When the mixture attains a good consistency ( ie they start becoming a mass), add ghee, roasted nuts, cardamom powder, edible camphor and dry coconut. Mix well. Stir for 2-3 mins so that ghee gets nicely blended with the pongal and you are left with a creamy texture.
- Switch off. Delicious Sweet Sakkarai pongal is ready for neivedhyam.
- Instead of cloves, you can use nutmeg powder.
- For Pongal rice has to be cooked mushy. So give 1-2 extra whistles and also mash well.
- Addition of ghee enhances the Pongal. So don't omit it. Please feel free to add extra ghee for more enhanced taste .