” Sweet Potato Cutlet / Sweet Potato Tikkis ” – a delicious snack made from Sweet Potato . It’s simple , quick to prepare and tastes really yum. Made from handy ingredients its a perfect healthy after school snack for your kiddos. Relish sweet cutlet ( Genasina cutlet – sihi genasu cutlet as known in Kannada ) as your tea time snack or serve as a starter in your next get together or stuff between buns and munch as burgers .. the choice is all yours . But which ever way.. i’m sure that everyone would love it plus its so easy and simple to make.
Generally sweet potato cutlet is made during fasting days in North India . But this recipe is not a no onion no garlic types . I make them for my kids evening snack and they love it . If you are in the look out some more cutlet recipes you can check paneer cutlet , corn cutlet , beetroot cutlet etc … for now do check out sweet potato cutlet recipe with step by step photos .. here you go ..
SWEET POTATO CUTLET RECIPE / SWEET POTATO TIKKI /
- 2-3 nos Sweet Potato / Genasu
- 1 medium size onion
- 1-2 nos Green Chilli, finely chopped
- small piece Ginger, Finely chopped / grated
- 1 small carrot, Grated ( optional )
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Jeera
- 1-2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp or less Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Chaat masala, ( Optional )
- 1/2 tsp Raw mango powder / amchoor
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp corn flour / maida, ( to coating )
- 4 - 5 tbsps bread crumb , to bind
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying / shallow frying
- Boil sweet potatoes , deskin and mash / deskin .
- In a pan take a tsp of oil . Crackle jeera . Add onion ,ginger and chilli . Saute for 2-3 mins .
- Add carrot to it . Add some salt and saute for 1-2 mins . Switch off .
- Add grated / mashed sweet potatoes .
- Add all the spice powders ie salt , chilli powder , chaat masala , Aamchoor powder , garam maslala and coriander leaves .
- Mix everything well . Taste test and add if anything required . Divide the dough to small / medium equal size balls . Shape them depending on your choice . You can do round flat disc /oval / heart shape / use any cookie cutter to give special shape .
- In a small bowl , mix maida or corn flour with 2 to 3 tbsp of water such that no lumps are formed . The batter should not be thick . In another plate spread breadcrumbs. Dip cutlet in cornflour mix to coat all sides and then coat it with bread crumbs well, Repeat same for rest of the cutlets . Keep cutlets covered in refrigerator for 30 mins / more to firm them . You can finish cutlet preparation till here and refrigerate and fry fresh when you are about to serve .
- The coated cutlets can be deep fried / shallow fried on tawa .
- Serve sweet potato Cutlets hot with ketchup / green chutney .
- Take care that sweet potatoes while boiling don't absorb excess water . If they do ,after cooking place the sweet potatoes on tissue paper so that excess water goes .
- Addition of spices , herbs , veggies is all your choice. You can go crazy with the filling and do plus or minus from the above mentioned list. If you want you can do plain sweet potato filling too .
- The final dough should not be watery type . else it will be oo soft and drink oil . In that case you can add some bread or cornfllour to absorb excess moisture .
- You can either deep fry them or shallow fry them on tawa. Both taste equally good.But if you are doing in large quantity , better to deep fry as it gets over equally .