Uddina Hittu Recipe | How to do Karnataka style Urad Dal Raita Recipe | Uddina Hittu recipe with step by step photo | Udnittu Recipe
Today I have for you all a classic dish from Udupi, Mangalore, Coastal Karnataka – “Uddina Hittu Gojju / Udnittu “. Uddina hittu is basically type of raita made from urad dal flour . As guessed right, this is a traditional age-old recipe passed from one generation to another by our ancestors. I tell you… though it’s very very simple dish with just a few ingredients ..its an absolute finger-licking lip-smacking curry. Creamy, spicy, tangy and full of flavours…
The key requirement to make this dish tasty is sour buttermilk, ginger and a strong tempering of hing in coconut oil and sun-dried curd chillies ( Sandige Menasu ). Don’t skip them.-
We usually stock urad dal powder in the pantry . Once it’s available, making uddina hittu gojju is hardly a job, an easy side dish is ready in 5 minutes. It’s always mine and family’s favourite.
We usually don’t roast urad dal and powder as the flavour changes nor like mixing urad dal batter. Few people do it that way , but for best-tasting uddina hittu gojju , always keep it under Sun for few hours or a day till it’s crisp and then powder fine. Store in an airtight container and use as and when required.
This dish is also one of the best way to clear tangy butter milk . Do try and i am sure you will love it .. and end up overeating . Remember not to skip coconut oil .. which makes it tastier!!
UDDINA HITTU RECIPE / UDNITTU RECIPE / DANGAR PACHADI / URAD DAL RAITA
- 3-4 tbsp Urad dal flour
- 1 cup Buttermilk/ Curd, sour only
- 4-5 nos Green Chillies
- 1 inch Ginger , grated
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 nos Sandige menasu / sun dried curd chilli, broken
- few Curry Leaves
- 2-3 pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- Roast Urad dal / Keep in Sun till crisp . Finely powder ural dal in a mixer . You can keep it in air tight container and as required .
- In a bowl take sour butter milk . Crush green chillies, grated ginger and add salt into it.
- Add urad dal flour to it and mix such that there are no lumps in it. Keep aside for 10-15 mins . You will observe that , after 15 minutes , gojju would have thickened . If it's too thick , you can add little water / curd / butter milk .
- Prepare tempering. Heat a small tadka pan, heat coconut oil and when the oil is hot, splutter mustard seeds. Add generous pinches of hing, curry leaves and broken sandige menasu . Pour the tempering over the uddina hittu gojju mixture and mix well.
- Serve Uddina Hittu with rice topped with little coconut oil and sandige menasu on the sides . A lipsmacking meal is ready .