I usually prefer making spice powders at home rather than buying it from outside as i feel they are much better than the store bought ones .There is no preservative added and they really add flavors & fragrance to the food.I agree its little time consuming but once job done , aroma coming out from the flavorful masalas is just overwhelming. I have already shared few spice powder recipes here and today its time for recipe of ” Home made Karnataka style Sambar Powder ” – one of the most essential ingredient of any South Indian Kitchen . The recipe for sambar powder varies from state to state and region to region , which is what makes the taste different.Today, I am posting Udupi style Sambar Powder.This easy to make spice blend is the heart for a perfect Udupi style Sambar .
Making of sambar powder and storing is very common through out South India but not in Udupi region. Usually in Udupi style sambar , fresh masalas are roasted in small batch and ground to paste each time Sambar is made . But since Sambar is made almost daily , now a days to make life easy in the kitchen and simple , people have started making Sambar powder in large quantity and use it as and when required while making sambar . This is actually very handy. I was getting request from long time to share authentic Karnataka brahmin style Sambar powder . So here is ” Udupi Style Sambar Powder Recipe ” for you all …will soon share Mysore style recipe too which is entirely different from this ..
UDUPI STYLE SAMBAR POWDER RECIPE
- 1 cup Coriander Seeds /Dhania
- ¼ cup Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- 2 tsps Fenugreek seeds /methi
- ½ cup Split Black gram /Urad dal
- ¼ cup Bengal Gram /Chana Dal
- 2 cups Red Chilli ( both guntur and byadgi mixed )
- Curry Leaves - fist ful
- 1-2 tsp Oil to roast
- In a kadai / pan , add few drops of oil and roast each ingredients seperately till they turn crisp .
- Finally take a big kadai. Add all the roasted ingredients and mix well .
- Once the roasted ingredients attain room temperature ,in a mixer , grind everything to a smooth powder .
- Allow the ground sambar powder to cool off completely and then store it in an air-tight container. Use as required to make sambar .Do not use wet spoon or wet hand to have a good shelf life.
- Do try this flavourful masala.. will soon post udupi style sambar .. Enjoy !!!
- To make sambar powder in large quantity , increase everything proportionately. ie. if you have taken 2 cups dhania , add jeera 1/2 cup .
- You can increase / decrease red chilli quantity based on your preference .
- Use both byadgi ( kashmiri ) chilli and guntur variety chilli . byadgi gives nice color and guntur is for spiciness .
- The blend stays good for years! You can also divide the quantity , pack in ziplock and store in refrigerator. I usually prefer to make smaller and more frequent batches of Sambar powder
- You can even add few spoons of it while making various stir fries / curries / rice bath .