People who are regular here , might be knowing that i prefer making home made spice powders rather than buying from stores.I have already have shared here bisi bele bath powder , sambar powder , rasam powder,chutney powder etc and today it is another classic recipe from Karnataka – ” Vangi Bath Powder / Vangi bath Masala Recipe “. I am sure for kannadigas , i needent say how versatile this masala powder is but people from other regions usually associate vangi bath powder to only vangi bath made using brinjal . But friends , let me tell you this easy to make spice blend is the heart of various masala baths ( like vegetable bath , capsicum bath , ivy gourd bath , cluster beans etc ) , stir fries and even curries too . I promise , over the time i will show how helpful stocking this box of spice powder in your kitchen is . But for today , let’s first see how to make vangi bath powder at home. I know many might ask me – “Why do you want to do at home when there are ‘n’ brands available in market easily . ” Well , my reply is Home made is home made . There is no preservative added and they really add flavors & fragrance to the food. Do give a try to this authentic vangi bath masala powder and i am sure you will agree with me..
Check Out the Video recipe here :
KARNATAKA STYLE VANGI BATH POWDER
- 1/2 cup Split Black gram Urad dal
- 1/2 cup Bengal Gram Chana Dal
- 1/4 cup Coriander Seeds Dhania
- 2 " , 3 - 4 pieces Cinnamon/ dalchini
- 10 - 12 Cloves/ Lavang
- 2 nos cardamom elaichi
- 2 tbsps Poppy seeds / khus khus
- 2 tbsps Dry Coconut / Kopra ( optional )
- 20 - 25 nos Red Chillis ( Guntur n byadgi mixed-for color n spice)
- few Curry Leaves
- 1-2 tsp Oil to fry spices
- In a frying pan on a low flame dry roast dry coconut till they are crispy. Keep them aside .
- Add few drops of oil to the same pan .Fry both the type of red chillies and curry leaves on low flame till the chillies are crisp. Switch off and transfer to a plate .
- Next to the same pan,add black gram,bengal gram,coriander seeds,cardamom,cinnamon and cloves. Fry on low flame till they are aromatic.Lastly add poppy seeds,fry for just a few seconds switch off .
- Combine all the roasted ingredients together .Mix well and allow them to cool .
- Take a mixer jar .Wipe it clean ensuring there is no moisture.Transfer all the roasted ingredients and dry coconut to the jar.Grind to a smooth powder .
- That's it Vangi Bath Powder is ready . Store the powder in an air tight container and use it while making vangi bath or any other masale bath like rava bath ,vegetable bath, cluster beans bath ( gorikayi ) , peas bath , methi bath , capsicum bath etc.
- If you want to make small batch here is the measurement in spoon
- Urad dal - 2 tbsp ; Chana dal - 2 tbsp ; Dhania - 1 .5 tbsp ; Cinnamon - 2-3 pieces ; Cloves - 5-6 nos;Cardamom -1 nos ;Poppy seeds - 1 tsp ; Dry coconut - 1 tsp, curry leaves - few ; Red Chillis ( Both Guntur n byadgi mixed ) - 10-15 nos
- If you want you can omit dry coconut .This further increases shelf life . You can add at the time of making vangi bath.
- Usually vangi bath is spicy. But if you cant take much spice reduce the chillies .
- You can also plus or minus the cloves and cinnamon quantity depending on your preference.
- Use 2 mixed varities of chilli ie byadgi for nice color and guntur variety for spiciness .
- This masala powder can also be used while making stir fries ( palya ) . It gives a different taste.