Veg Kolhapuri Recipe | Veg kolhapuri recipe with step by step photos | How to do restaurant-style Veg Kolhapuri | Easy side dish for Chapati
Veg Kolhapuri is a delicious curry from Kolhapuri region that’s fiery hot, high on spices and extremely flavourful. Serve with roti / Naan/chapati/rice.. a sure winner !!! At first glance, the recipe may seem a tad complicated. However, the ingredients are basic to any Indian pantry and once you have your mise en place ready, making of this gravy is pretty straight forward.
My husband lived in Mumbai for many years and has many fond memories associated with Maharashtrian dishes. After marriage, he kept pestering me for many Maharashtrian cuisines. It was then Google helped me. Over the years with few trial and errors now I can proudly say i have mastered in many authentic Maharashtrian dishes and they have become regular dishes at my place. I have already shared capsicum zunka , kanda bhaji , thalipeeth , ,veg tomato omelette , Misal pav . Stay tuned for some more.
If you like spicy hot food then Veg Kolhapuri is something tailor-made for you. Usually, Kolhapur dishes are spicy .. however, you can alter as per your wish .If you do not eat overly spicy food, you can keep the spice level to our liking . Unlike the shahi kurma and curry’s, veg kolhapuri won’t be very creamy. However, if you want, can add few cashews while grinding masala to make the gravy creamy and more restaurant-style. This recipe is definitely worth a try.
Do give a try, I am sure you will fall in love instantly with its riot of flavours!!!
VEG KOLHAPURI RECIPE | RESTAURANT STYLE VEG KOLHAOURI RECIPE
- 2 cup Mixed veggies beans , carrot , potato , peas
- 1 big onion, chopped
- 2-3 medium size Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium size capsicum, diced
- 100 gm paneer, diced ( optional )
- 1/2 tsp Jeera / Cumin seeds
- a Bay leaf / Tej patta
- 1-2 nos Green Chillies, slit
- a pinch Hing /Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Haldi/ turmeric
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- tbsp of cream, optional
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1/2 tsp Kasoori methi
- 1/2 Lemon
- few sprigs Coriander leaves
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
Masala to Dry Roast
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds/ Dhania
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- few Fenugreek seeds/ methi seeds
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds / white til
- 1 tbsp Poppy seeds / khus khus
- 1/4 cup Dry Coconut / Kopra
- 4-5 nos Byadgi Chillies / Kashmiri Chillies
- 5-6 nos Pepper
- small piece Cinnamon/ dalchini
- 3-4 nos Cloves/ Lavang
- 2-3 nos cardamom/ elaichi
- small piece stone flower / kallu hoovu
- small piece Star Anise / Ananas hoovu
Masala to saute and Grind
- tsp of Oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 5-6 flakes Garlic
- small pc of Ginger
- Blanch / steam cook / microwave / OPOS mixed veggies. Retain the crunchiness .. 75 % cooked should be good.
- saute capsicum for 1-2 mins . Keep aside .
- In a Kadai / pan, dry roast all the masala ingredients mentioned under " to grind ". Add all the ingredients one by one and saute on low medium flame till aromatic and crisp. Keep them aside. Allow cool.
- To the same Kadai / pan, add a tsp of oil. Saute sliced Onion, Garlic flakes and ginger. Saute till raw smell goes. Keep aside. Allow to cool.
- To a mixer jar, transferred the sauteed onion + ginger + garlic + roasted spice mix. Add little water and grind smooth. Keep aside.
- To begin with, heat oil in a pan. Temper Jeera, bay leaf and green chilli. Reduce the flame and add a pinch of hing, haldi and red chilli powder. Mix.
- Add chopped Onion and saute till onion s are translucent .
- Once onions are translucent, add tomatoes and saute till mushy. Add little salt to tomatoes while sauteing to speeden up the process.
- Once tomatoes are mushy, add the ground masala to the pan / Kadai. Combine everything well and saute for 4-5 mins / til raw smell from masala goes and it starts leaving oil. Sauteing masala nicely till its aromatic and till it starts leaving oil , is very crucial for best taste.
- Add partially cooked veggies, water and salt. Mix well. Cover and cook for 4-5 mins for the gravy to thicken and for the veggies to take in flavours.
- Add sauteed Capsicum, diced paneer, garam masala powder and little kasoori methi. Mix well, simmer and boil for another 2-3 mins. Lastly add some cream, coriander leaves and lime. Mix and switch off.
- Spicy veg Kolhapuri is ready . Tastes so flavorful and delicious .