Though i know many side dishes to go along with Indian flat bread, but while planning a menu for some new guests,the first dish that strikes me always is “ Vegetable Kurma / Mixed Veg Korma “. That’s how confident i am about this dish. Its simple yet royal and elegant,which we can proudly present in our dining table for lunch ,dinner or breakfast.I haven’t found anyone till date who doesn’t like this creamy curry. I infact think sometimes how a simple dish can just bowl anyone.That’s the reason i guess its the favorite side dish of restaurants too.. N wow they seem to be a perfect side dish with all..be it rotis,dosas or rice or anything…
I ve been eating restaurant style veg mixed kurma since my growing years but still it makes me drool always and i am always IN for it.Its creamy ,spicy with amazing flavors and addition of mixed veggies makes it healthy.There are many variations of making a korma. Creaminess in the gravy is achieved by adding coconut , cashew , cream etc.So are you ready to learn my version of Mixed Veg Kurma ?? Here it goes…
Check Out the Video recipe here :
- Chopped Mixed vegetables, Beans, Carrot, Potato, Peas ,cauliflower ,chayote squash ,knol khol etc - Quantity of is your choice.
- 2 onion, – finely chopped
- 1 tomato, – finely chopped
- 2 - 3 Green Chillies, - finely chopped
- Coriander leaves, - finely chopped
- Lemon juice, as prefered
To Grind :
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 2 tbsp Chutney dal
- 1 tsp Poppy seeds / khus khus
- 5 - 6 Cashew
- 1/2 onion, - cut to slices
- 1 inch Ginger
- 6 - 7 pods Garlic
- 4 - 6 Red Chillies
Roughly crush (Garam Masala )
- 1 tsp fennel seeds saunf
- 2 - 1 inchs Cinnamon/ dalchini
- 3 - 4 Cloves/ Lavang
- 2 cardamom elaichi
- 1 Star Anise
To temper :
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1 Bay leaf / tejpatta
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- To Taste Salt
- Partially cook the veggies with some salt and water. Ensure that they are cooked just right - neither crunchy nor too mushy.
- In a mortor slightly crush ,fennel seeds ,cinnamon,cloves,cardamom and star anise. You need not powder it fine .
- Soak cashew and khus khus in water for about 15- 25 mins.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan.Temper with mustard seeds,cumin seeds and bay leaf.When mustard splutters add crushed garam masala ingredients.Saute for a minute or so .Next add chopped onions n green chillies.Saute till onion turns translucent.
- Next add chopped tomatoes and little salt. Saute till tomatoes become mushy .
- Meanwhile grind all the ingredients mentioned under things to grind. Add some water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Once tomatoes become mushy ,add the ground masala .Add turmeric and mix well.Saute the masala well till it leaves oil and raw smell goes completely.
- Once the masala is nicely fried,add cooked mixed vegetables.
- Add salt and enough water to get the desired consistency of kurma .Mix well .Close the pan with a lid leaving a small gap .Cook over medium low flame for about 5-10 mins.The Kurma will thicken as it boils and veggies will taken in spices.Check the consistency of the kurma again and add little more water if required.Let it come to a boil. Switch off. Add chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice.Mix well.
- Transfer the yummy aromatic Kurma to a serving bowl and serve it hot with chapathi/poori/Rava Idly/Set Dosa / Jeera Rice /Ghee Rice etc.Do try it out friends.. I am sure you will love it. I ve got thumbs up by many for this recipe of Veg Kurma..
- The vegetables should be par boiled the first time. So take care not to over cook it.
- In case you dont have coconut , you can add coconut milk.
- You can also add paneer / tofu /soya chunks to the kurma.
- Cut all veggies almost even size. So that all veggies cook evenly .
- Frying of masala well till raw smell goes is an important step for a good Kurma.